Saturday, November 26, 2005

15 Great Shows and 1 Kick-Ass Flick

Well, since I dropped the ball and forgot to get Black Crowes tickets when they went on sale, it probably means my 2005 live music schedule has come to an end. And that's not so bad considering what a fantastic year it was. Not a bad show to be found. So, in an effort to NOT have my year-end lists come out in March, I decided to get a jump on things and do my Top 15 Live Shows of the Year. Here we go.

15. Kaki King at the Stone Church, Newmarket, NH, 08/12/05
14. Willy Porter at Club Passim, Cambridge, MA, 11/11/05
13. Bob Mould Band at the Paradise, Boston, MA, 10/04/05
12. Ryan Adams and the Cardinals at Avalon, Boston, MA, 05/17/05
11. Willy Porter at the Circle of Friends Coffeehouse, Franklin, MA, 05/14/05
10. Kristin Hersh at the Paradise, Boston, MA, 01/28/05
9. Snow Patrol at Avalon, Boston, MA, 05/21/05
8. Neko Case with the Sadies at the Roxy, Boston, MA, 02/12/05
7. Richard Thompson at the Somerville Theatre, Somerville, MA, 10/25/05
6. The White Stripes at the Opera House, Boston, MA, 09/20/05
5. Jeff Tweedy at Calvin Theatre, Northampton, MA, 11/13/05
4. Wilco with My Morning Jacket at Agganis Arena, Boston, MA, 06/24/05
3. John Butler Trio at the Somerville Theatre, Somerville, MA, 10/02/05
2. Richard Thompson at Newburyport High School, Newburyport, MA, 08/07/05
1. Queens of the Stone Age at the Roxy, Boston, MA, 03/28/05

That's it! No long, boring commentary from yours truly. I'll save that for my regular posts.

Oh, Christine and I saw this flick yesterday. It was friggin fab. Go see it.

So, tell me. See any good shows or flicks this year? Give it up!

- Dim.

4 Comments:

Blogger Rusty said...

I will probably lose many coolness points for admitting this, but I don't even know who most of the bands/singers are that you saw this year. I'm sure they were great, though. :)

From your show schedule, I can surmise that you aren't a huge fan of country music...what prompted you to see Walk the Line? I absolutely love Johnny Cash, but that's because I absolutely love country music, too (losing more coolness points, I know). Not that you have to like country to enjoy a movie about a country singer, I guess. :) Anyway, I can't wait to see it. I'm glad you liked it!

5:05 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

Hey Rust,

I love Cash. Absolutely love him. Got nothing against country either, though I really don't dig contemporary country all that much (though I did see some Brad Paisley guy on TV and he was a pretty good guitar player).

I like old school country (Cash, Willie Nelson), bluegrass (Allison Krauss, Nickel Creek), and especially alt-country/Americana like Uncle Tupelo.

If you are looking to expand your musical horizons at all, check out a few really good alt-country artists out there:

Whiskeytown
Ryan Adams (especially the Heartbreaker disc or anything he did with the Cardinals)
Neko Case (definitely listen to her Blacklisted CD).

Check out some samples on-line! I bet you'll like them.

-D.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Brad Paisley is probably my all-time favorite country singer...right up there with Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Reba McEntire, and Dolly Parton (I love her...don't make fun). He's in my CD player right now, since I got his new CD for my birthday. :) Love him. Definitely check out his albums if you get a chance.

I'll give those a try, since you suggested them. I've heard of Ryan Adams (didn't you say you saw him this year?) but I don't know his music very well. I love all kinds of music, so I'm definitely up for trying something new. :)

Thanks.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Dim said...

Hey, got nothing against Dolly. She's cool. For old school, I left off Loretta Lynn, whose Van Lear Rose CD was incredible and also a newcomer, Mindy Smith, who I saw last year. She's great too.

-D.

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape