Sunday, December 18, 2005

10 Words and/or Phrases I Hate To Hear




Vizzini: "Incontheivable!"
Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

- The Princess Bride

The following words and phrases put a terrifying shudder into me like when I hear the words, "Live from New York, it's Saturday night!" By no means is this list exhaustive. It's just what I could come up with after being up until 3:30 AM. Feel free to add your own.

1. Supposably. Cue Inigo Montoya. This is an oft-misused version of "supposedly", which makes the speaker of said word sound either like an idiot or Mushmouth from Fat Albert.

2. No brainer. Although not grammatically incorrect to the best of my knowledge, this is a phrase that just bugs the hell out of me. People use this to signify something that is "obvious" or that the answer is "so clear, one nary has to think to get it right." I tend to use the word to describe someone who had a fateful run-in with a brain-eating zombie. Which is probably why they use a phrase like "no brainer"...they no longer have any brains.

3. Irregardless. Let's break this one down. You have the prefix "ir-", which basically means "not". Then you have "regardless", which I'm pretty sure means "without regard". So, you put those together and you have "not without regard", or simpler, "with regard". So, instead of using the correct word, you use an incorrect version of the word which gives you the opposite meaning. OUCH! Slushy headache. Just knock this shit off.

4. For all intensive purposes. This one is completely fantabulous, because not only do people actually say this phrase in this manner, but they also write it like this. It's like they took their moron status and super-sized it. Anyway, "intensive" is an adjective which deals with intensity. So, when you look at it like that, it is confoundingly nonsensical. And if you happen to use this phrase and wonder what the real one is supposed to be...I'm not going to tell you.

5. It goes without saying that... Again, not grammatically incorrect, but terribly misused. How come this phrase always seems to precede a long-winded diatribe? If it goes without saying, guess what? Don't say it.

6. Worse comes to worse. OK, this one makes sense. You are trying to say if something bad gets even badder, then...you will do something. But, instead, what you are saying is, "if something bad remains the same exact level of bad", then...you will do something. Perhaps what you should be doing is taking a few night courses. It's a no brainer!

7. Not trying to reinvent the wheel. I work with a bunch of salespeople and I hear this one ALL THE TIME and drives me up a friggin wall. Again, nothing wrong with it on the surface. But they use it to illustrate to me that they don't want to do something that has already been done. "Look, I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here..." Isn't there a better metaphor you can use, because I am reasonable sure there's a patent on the wheel. How about trying to fly a kite with a key attached to the string during a thunderstorm? Or are you not trying to rediscover electricity either?

8. Vice-a versa. Good job, Jar Jar Binks. Meesa gots a bad feeling abouts this too.

9. Fustrated. This is one that is often said, but I rarely see people actually write it out like this, so they have a modicum of brain activity going on upstairs, but the mouth fumbles the handoff from the noggin and the "r" gets kidnapped somewhere along the way. The only people allowed to say "fustrated" are ones that really hate soggy fench fies.

10. I could care less... This is a classic. Usually said contemptuously to REALLY emphasize the fact that the speaker has such little regard for what is about to follow. A very powerful and empowering phrase usually uttered by someone who is being really pissy about something, usually what another person thinks about them. But in actuality, what they are saying is that, in fact, they do have the ability to care less about what they are about to say. So, they care more about what they are going to say than they really want to care about it. Which is the exact opposite of the point they are trying to make. Kick-ass way to not only sound like a doofus, but also to completely chop the balls off of the spiteful point you were trying to make.

Feel free to add your own!

Couldn't possibly care less,

Dim.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rusty said...

Now, it goes without saying that most of those bother me, but...

I HAAAAAAAAAAATE when people say "irregardless," "fustrated," and "I could care less." I'm SO with you on those. The other phrases are fairly annoying, but they don't make me blow my top like those horribly misused words.

"For all intensive purposes" is one I've never heard...and I thought we had some real idiots around here. What I have heard that reminds me of that is "all exclusive," as in, "I went to that new beach resort in Antigua and my drinks and everything were all exclusive." GRRRR! It's "inclusive," you buffoon!! Maybe my brain has turned to mush after reading those awful phrases in your post, but doesn't exclusive mean something near the opposite of inclusive? Some people are incredibly stupid.

Another one we get around here, stuck in the middle of all the "ferhoodled" and "rutching" (we're VERY Dutchy in Southcentral PA) is using an "x" where a "c" is supposed to be. As in, "I'm exspecially happy today." or "I love to drink expresso."

Also, I am an Italian, and I'm proud of our culture and our foods. If you even try to call it "marscapone" cheese, I will kill you. It's mascarpone. Sound it out, bastards. Even on the Food Network, they say it wrong.

Long comment...sorry, Dim. :)

5:26 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Sorry...I must have been ferhoodled when I wrote that comment. The people who say "exspecially" are using the x in place of the s. They're still morons, either way. :)

5:28 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

I love all of yours and I will have more to add later, but right now what comes to mind is ambleance for ambulance, bilingral, "The reason is because...," "Between you and I," "I wish I was," "think outside the box," and any sports analogy used in business. After I talk to people on the phone tomorrow at work, I will have more :)

5:33 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

This is why you guys rule:

Rusty...TOTALLY should have included "expresso" on my list. I hate that...it is even uttered as "expresso" in the movie "Swingers" and I cringe every time Nikki says it.

JG, "think outside the box" is another one of my work-related pet peeves.

Keep 'em coming! I know you guys got more in ya!

- D.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Two things....

"could care less" and "couldn't care less" is actually a North America vs. Europe thing. In North America "could care less" is used, but it is supposed to sarcastic, while Europeans will used the non-sarcastic "couldn't care less".

also, can "thrown under the bus" get added to the list?

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape