Thursday, December 08, 2005

Open Mic Night


In addition to being a writer wannabe, I am also a musician wannabe and this manifests itself in a rather embarrassing activity. Yes, I play at open mics. And no, you can't come.

The open mics I tend to play are all in the boonies of Massachusetts by design. Out in the sticks, you can get a half hour set and the talent level is pretty middling, so if you're decent, it's quite an ego boost. If you play in Boston, you get one song in a coffeehouse and it's always really challenging following some ultra-pasty white disaffected college sophomore who is covering Lili Taylor's "Joe Lies (When He Cries)" from Say Anything...

So, instead of putting up with that nonsense, I end up playing to a bunch of hillbilly drunks and Golden Tee fanatics. The price I pay for my art.

Anyway, last night was a pretty decent gig. Good turnout from friends...good turnout from friends' friends. But the funny thing about playing these things out in the woods is that your audience can be weird, or like last night, annoying. Mom always said, "Playing open mics in Central Massachusetts is like a box of chocolates. You never know what annoying inbred wackos are going to show up." Mom's not so good with analogies.

So, me, Joe, and Christine get there and have a couple of drinks to loosen up. I usually get to the place and don't drink until I'm just about to go on, whereupon I have a shot of Southern Comfort which doesn't hit me until my set is over. I strayed from my routine last night and starting having anxiety attacks about that which rivalled the ones I get when I see Bumbles. I'm a ritualistic kind of guy and foregoing my shot of SoCo could have been a harbinger of things to come. And in a way, it was.

Joe goes on and plays a great set. I'm always envious of him because he is a great guitar player and knows great songs. Joe's hopes to do a Jimmy Buffet song were squashed by the guy who went on immediately before him who apparently knew of no songwriter other than Jimmy Buffet and proceeded to play most of his catalog. I never got the whole Parrothead thing, but that's a rant for another time.

Joe's set ends with "The Weight" by The Band and I join him on stage for that one and we have dueling guitars and vocals. It's always fun and it loosens me up for my set. We finish that tune and Joe goes and sits in the front of the stage with some cool friends of his that came out.

This is when things got...strange.

As soon as Joe finished up, there were these two people who took an immediate idolizing to him. I can't believe it. Joe has himself groupies! One was a smallish guy dressed in the most overbearing turtleneck sweater this side of Dane Cook's on the Saturday Night Live skit a few weeks back. This thing was like 20% wool, 10% sheepdog and 70% yak hair. It was a beast and quite possibly still living. The other person who saddled up to Joe was this large and LOUD woman. Now, normally, I would leave out the fact that she was large, but it will come into play later.

I go on and start my set off. And all I can hear is this really loud, abrasive woman fawning over Joe. As a performer at these things, you get used to the chatter that goes on, but this lady was as piercing as Sam Kinison using a bullhorn. Their conversation is something that I'll get to later, but in the course of my set, one of Joe's friends proceeded to shoot this woman the hairy eyeball because she was literally drowning me out, and then finally had to tell her to knock the volume down. It got to the point, during my last song, that I just said "Fuck it" to myself and sang the loudest I could while still staying in key. And I could STILL hear this woman's caustic cackle. In fact, here I am, about 11 hours later, and I can still hear it. Something tells me it will be something I will carry for the rest of my life. Now, I know why you see disheveled people walking down the street, swinging maniacally at the air, blocking their ears, cursing at the sky. They know this chick.

In the meantime, Christine gets up and sings a few tunes with me. She kicks ass in that she is a better singer and better guitar player than I. And everyone makes sure to tell her just how great she is when she is done. I'm rapidly becoming Sonny to her Cher. Captain to her Tennille, Tito Jackson to her Michael Jackson. Whatever.

So, I get off stage, and settle back in at which point, Joe informs me of one of the funniest things I have ever heard. This annoying paper-cut of a woman interjected herself, did I mention loudly?, into Joe's posse (who were exchanging early Christmas gifts) and saw that someone had given Joe a gift card to Dick's Sporting Goods. The conversation went something like this:

Chick I Just Wanted To Pound and Pound with a Shovel: "Are you a sportsman?"

Joe: "Yes."

CIJWTPAPWAS: "What do you do?"

Joe: "I hunt."

CIJWTPAPWAS: "What do you hunt?"

Joe: "Big game."

This is hysterical on so many levels, because, first of all, Joe doesn't hunt big game and, second of all, Joe doesn't hunt at all, and, lastly, this chick was immense. Definite the high comedy point of the evening up to that point.

Then it got weird.

And older guy came up and did some 60s classics, including Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Down On The Corner", which, to this day, I cannot hear without thinking of that scene in One Crazy Summer where George Calamari is buried up to his head in sand on the beach and some big guy doesn't see him and puts his beach chair right on top of his dome and then proceeds to eat a 5-gallon tub of baked beans. That song is playing in that scene and will be forever linked in my warped mind. John Fogerty weeps.

Then, after this dude, was a keyboardist who also happened to be the wearer of the yak hair turtleneck. This was a first. What made it even a "firster" is that this guy and his keyboard didn't do "Axel F". No no no. He didn't even do "Just The Way You Are" by Billy Joel (a song I predicted he would play, and also one that I predicted would cause me to walk out). Instead, he sets up and launches into a Hasidic rap. And, worse, he made it a singalong. By now, the only ones that were left were me, Christine, Joe, and some of our friends, and, of course, the omni-present CIJWTPAPWAS.

This guy begs, implores us to take part in the singalong, which we do out of sheer pity. I'll never be able to get my Gentile dignity back after helping him rap, "My name is Dr. Dreidel, eat soup from a ladle, bust rhymes from the cradle." I shit you not. 50 Cent weeps.

And to top it all off, CIJWTPAPWAS LOVED this dude! In the irony to decimate all ironies, she made sure we gave Dr. Dreidle here our absolute, undivided attention. And there she was, apple martini in one hand, doing the Elaine Benes dance, and shouting out all of these Jewish words that, for all I know, would have caused my mug of Harpoon IPA to part down the middle if I sang them too.

This routine resulted in yet another exchange that went like this:

CIJWTPAPWAS: (unconvincingly, at least, to me): This is hysterical!

Dim: OK.

CIJWTPAPWAS: (incredulously): You don't think so?!

Dim: I'm not Jewish.

CIJWTPAPWAS: You don't have to be!

Dim: I kinda think you do.

And then, during another song, she turned her nasty wrath on Christine.

CIJWTPAPWAS: (turning red, like a really really big lobster) Didn't you see Fiddler on the Roof??!?!!

Christine: Yeah, but I don't know all the words.

Classic.

Then, after this mercifully came to an end, yak haired turtle neck guy came up to us and thanked us for our participation, saying that he is learning the keyboard and writing these songs to play for patients who have Alzheimer's. A noble cause for sure which then caused Dave (who is going straight to hell) to say, "That must be great, because each time they hear it, it's like it's brand new."

As if anyone can follow this up, some guy got up on stage and played a bunch of original tunes. He was actually pretty decent and not very noteworthy except for one thing. He prefaced one of his songs by saying "This one goes out to the soldiers in Iraq!" Yet another noble gesture, only if you are on a world stage or are playing to more than 3 people, which includes one guy, asleep face-first into a bowl of stale popcorn while his Hennessey Cream Ale is still in his kung-fu grip. Not exactly a message to the masses.

And with that, we left.

Here was my selist for those curious. In the parentheses is the artist who does the song originally and infinitely better than I.

1. Lone Star Song (Grant Lee Buffalo)
2. Miss Misery (Elliott Smith)
3. We're Going To Be Friends (The White Stripes)
4. Dead Leaves And The Dirty Ground (The White Stripes)
5. Magnolia Mountain (Ryan Adams & The Cardinals) - with Christine on background vocals
6. Dragonfly (The Thorns) - with Christine on background vocals
7. Come Pick Me Up (Ryan Adams) - with Christine on background vocals
8. Your Ghost (Kristin Hersh) - Christine on guitar, lead vocals, Dim on background vocals
9. Long Slow Goodbye (Queens of the Stone Age)

Long post. Not very funny. But it's all true.

- Bo Bice

I mean,

- Dim.

11 Comments:

Blogger Jenny G said...

Eeeeeeee!! OMG!!one!!! R U really Bo Bice?

Mmmm...Bo Bice *drools*

It seems like you're as much of a John Cusack fan as I am :).

8:06 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

By the way, is that you?

8:13 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

I wish I was Bo Bice! That dude has a pretty good voice.

Yep, that's me. I'm a lot less blurry in real-life. Other than that, I look pretty much the same as that even though that pic was taken at an open mic a few years ago. My hair is longer now, but that's me.

Do you really like Bo or are you pretending to be a 17-year-old American Idol fanatic? The OMG and the Prince spelling R U has be confused if you are joshing or not.

I never really realized that I was a big Cusack fan, I guess. He's just been in some good flicks. I'll start referencing High Fidelity next...

- D.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Jenny is a gigantic, insane Bo Bice (or Bob Ice) fan. Don't doubt it...I know her.

Great post! I actually read the whole thing at one time, just because I wanted to know how it all turned out. :) Sounds like a very odd night, what with the massive whack-job woman and all.

I can't believe that's you! I didn't picture you that way at all...but don't ask me how I DID picture you. Just not like that. Am I now forced to put a picture of myself on Off the Pace? Jenny did it a few months back. Very scary thought.

Good for you for getting up there and getting your groove on. I always wanted to do karaoke, but I don't have the talent or the cajones. Too bad.

10:54 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

You don't need talent or cajones (nice word!) to do karaoke. You need BEER. There's a reason why they have these things at bars at 10:00 PM. Because if they held them at Orange Julius at 4 in the afternoon, no one would do it.

I've done karaoke a few times before and I'll only do one song (and it requires a really powerful female voice). And that song is: Paradise By The Dashboard Light by Meatloaf. Man, I love to sing that tune. I get all into it.

You should do it sometime! Seriously, have you heard some of the people who do it? I bet you are much better than you think.

You're certainly not forced to put a pic up if you don't want. I wasn't going to include that one of me, but it's a few years old and blurry enough to add a little mystery! HA!

I actually wanted to copy JG and use a kindergarten pic of me as a sig, but I'm an idiot amd don't know how to do it. I'm only 34, but I'm like a 74-year-old when it comes to technology.

Thanks again for the feedback, you two. I'm starting to think Dim City has a population of 3, but that's cool with me.

- D.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

LMAO! I'm starting to think the same thing about Off the Pace, and it's okay with me, too. It's slightly more pathetic with me, though, because at least you drew in 2 strangers (and by strangers, I mean strangers). Jen is my best friend in real life, so I pretty much only have 1 new person reading my blog. *sigh* It's just a continuation of my normal life.

About karaoke: Suddenly, I want to come to Massachusetts and sing the "really powerful female voice" ("I've gotta know right now!") on the greatest karaoke song of all time with you. That's not an innuendo (I say that because I think it sounds like one), I just love that song and would love to sing it at karaoke as well. We always rock out to it at the country bar in the mountains that I go to when I'm in Sullivan County, but I never hear it here. :) That would be great stuff.

Please, put up a kindergarten picture! That would be awesome! Jenny's is SO cute...she still looks like that. (just kidding) I'll put one up on Off the Pace in a post, but I'm keeping Rusty as my mascot.

9:35 AM  
Blogger Dim said...

Isn't there some way of figuring out if people are reading the blog? Don't get me wrong...I like my small (captive?) audience, but it would be cool to know if others are stopping by too.

Hey, Paradise is the perfect karaoke song...cheesy, bombastic, need some talent to pull off well, theatrical. Gotta act it out while you are singing it and if the person running the karaoke machine decides to do the Phil Rizzuto part himself, he gets a kick in the nads. I have no tolerance for that nonsense.

I'll have to try to find a way to work the kindergarten pic into a post one of these days. I'm wearing a leisure suit. It's pretty funny.

- D.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

www.statcounter.com

Check it out.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Oh, I loves me some Bo Bice. That's why we went to the American Idol concert!

That's not how I expected you to look either. I think I had an image of you and March as corporate drones since the only thing I know about what you do is that you work in an office.

I was actually going to write a post asking if anyone actually liked Meatloaf. I've never in my life seen anyone list Meatloaf as one of their favorite performers.

To put your picture up just go to your profile and there's a place to edit it.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

Wait just a minute...I never said that Meatloaf as one of my favorite performers! I just said that Paradise By The Dashboard Light is a kick-ass karaoke song when you've had too much to drink. Big difference! Come on...I have a rep to uphold here!

- D.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

LOL I was actually thinking of that separately from your comment, but methinks thou dost protest too much. :)

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape