Sunday, March 08, 2009

Ignorance is Bliss* (*I just made up this phrase right now)

Alas, my fears for the future of humanity were hardly allayed today. We do indeed live in an "American Idol", reality TV world.

We went to see Watchmen today.

And while the film leaves a ton to talk about after it's over, I found myself regrettably distracted by a comment from a fellow moviegoer once the film completed and we were all standing up during the closing credits and stretching our bodies from being cramped up in uncomfortable seats for almost three hours.

You see, during a scene in the movie, that song "Hallelujah" by Leonard Cohen played. This is the same "Hallelujah" that Leonard Cohen not only sang originally, but actually wrote some 25 years ago. Now forget my utter disagreement of the use of that particular song in that particular scene for a second...the fact is that song, sung by Cohen, played almost in its entirety.

Upon the conclusion of the film, this person (who was far from a teeny-bopper) proclaimed defiantly that he wondered who "did that version of 'Hallelujah', because it was awful". His amazing, on-the-spot detective work led him to believe that this multi-gajillion dollar movie "must not have been able to get the rights to the real song or something."

Ding ding ding! Man, you just maxed out your earnings on "Who Wants to Be A Dipshit" and you didn't even have to phone a friend. Congratulations!

I'm just really curious who he thought did the "real" version of the song: Jeff Buckley or Jason Castro?

- D.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jenny G said...

I'm surprised you didn't enlighten this person.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Just me... said...

Oh, I can't believe you just let that one lay... When you had a perfectly good opportunity to help correct this poor, deluded human, you just walked away.. Tsk, tsk, tsk.... :):):):)

2:32 PM  
Blogger B. said...

Great intro for my comment...
because I'm sure Not-Dim has been watching AI or will start watching the final 13 this week, I'm letting the readers of Dim City know that Danny and Allison are my two faves.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Okay, I'm sorry, but this made me laugh out loud.

Honestly, I think it could be any of the versions of that song, from the one in Shrek to the one sung on American Idol, that your fellow moviegoer was thinking of. I can name four off the top of my head, and I'm sure there are more.

It might be some kind of musical sacrilege, but I'd order all four of those those as personal favorite versions before the original. I actually can't stand Cohen's take, whether he wrote it or not, so I sort of know where that guy is coming from (although certainly not the ignorance).

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape