Friday, March 03, 2006

P.C.U.

I went to this college.

Not a bad little Catholic school.

But little did I know, after four years and many, many thousands of dollars later, that my campus, nestled in a woodsy and hilly eastern Massachusetts town, is apparently world-renowned for its vast population of "skyhawks". Much more rare than their popular relative, the "groundhawk", no doubt.

You see, when I went there many moons ago, Stonehill College was known for its Chieftains. Chieftains being the name of the school mascot. Well, until the Police Of Overt Political Correctness Reacting Absolutely Preposterously (POOP-CRAP) decided that the name was offensive to Native Americans, who were apparently, natively American and never called each other a "chieftain".

So, last year, I got a thing in the mail from Stonehill and my first thought was, "I am not sending you money-grubbing bastards another cent!" But when I opened it, I found that it was a ballot. A democratic vote asking alumns such as myself what I would like the NEW team mascot to be, as they were laboring under NO mascot for years now. No mascot?! When the hell did that happen? We were the Stonehill Nothings for a few years? Way to psych out your opponent.

Apparently, "chieftain", is offensive despite its rather innocuous definition of: The leader or head of a group, especially of a clan or tribe. Not sure why a bunch of people got their panties in a bunch over this, but that is probably why I toil away in a non-gratifying profession, while other graduates decide to change mascot names for a living.

So, among the brilliant suggestions for Stonehill's new moniker were: the Shovelmakers (please, temper your fear. You are our opponent. You must be quaking in your moccasins, I mean, boots, at the mere infancy of a thought of going head-to-head against...The Shovelmakers. Be careful, or we'll bust out our JV team...the Hoes). Also making the finals was the Mission. The Stonehill Mission. What the fuck is that? The only less imposing nickname would be the Stonehill Myopic Ballerinas. Or countless others. Try coming up with your own! Fun!

At least they didn't take the easy way out and call themselves the Stonehill Hills. Don't laugh. My high school was Cardinal Spellman. They called themselves...the Cardinals. I give them an F- for originality. It must be some Catholic thing, though, because our rivals were the Bishop Fenwick Bishops. I should just be grateful that there was no Catholic school in the area inexplicably named after Dick Van Dyke. That would have been dicey.

So, needless to say, I am less than aroused about any of these choices. This being America and all, I decided to exercise my free speech right to write in a candidate. I don't have to tell you that my suggestion of the Stonehill Woo-Woo-Woo Paleface Scalpin' Rain Dancers didn't win.

But the Skyhawks did! Is that offensive? Please say it is so. Here's our logo. I'm offended.



I'm offended, because my Stonehill education should have taught me that the Skyhawk was not a bird, but merely a propeller. And the Stonehill Propellers sounds dumb like a box of hair.

Don't get me wrong. Some team's logos are a little offensive. Take the Cleveland Indians' mascot, Chief Wahoo:

OK, that's a little offensive. But look how they overcompensate with offensiveness by giving Wahoo such impeccable dental work!

The Chicago Blackhawks as a NAME in and of itself is OK. The logo...a little offensive:

But some teams went a little crazy when influenced by the POOP-CRAP. Take St. John's University. They used to be called the Redmen. Maybe a tad offensive. But they change it to...the Red Storm. What the friggin frack is a Red Storm? It sounds Russian. And we should not offend them either. They have nukes. I doubt the Native Americans do.

Next up, the Syracuse Orangemen. This must have royally pissed off all of the innumerable citrus growers in upstate New York, because they done went and changed their name to the Orange. I guess, as in the fruit. Again, not very imposing...unless they are playing the Yellowbeard University Scurvy Dogs.

That's why the University of Northern Colorado's intramural basketball team got this right. For those who don't know, "intramural" is POOP-CRAP speak for players who have no talent, but like to go out for pizza and beer after the game. I only know this because of I was a member of the Stonehill College (then) Chieftain intramural Floor Hockey team. Anyway, these guys just decided to be in-your-face offensive with their nickname: The Fightin' Whities. And the best part...their logo:

If you're gonna be offensive, and let's face it...this definitely is, you might as well go the full nine.

Look, I'm not an insensitive prick. Personally, I think that what happened to the Native American people here many years ago is nothing less that despicably shameful and reprehensible. One of the worst atrocities every committed by man on man. But is calling a team the Atlanta Braves really that bad a sin? Isn't the term "Brave" complimentary?

Some things cross the always-moving line. Personally, I'm not a big fan of a team named the Redskins and their logo is pretty bad as well:

But it has been like that since the dawn of time and it ain't ever gonna change. Battles need to be picked. Real issues need to be prioritized.

I personally don't like when people do the chanting and the pantomiming of the "tomahawk chop" at games. But I'm Italian. If you named a team the Goombahs and instead of the acted out a tomahawk chop we pretended to kiss you on both cheeks and then shoot you in the back of the head when you turned around, I would think it was pretty damn funny. Let's not kid ourselves. Some stereotypes are TRUE. They wouldn't have gotten to be stereotypes if they weren't.

I guess my rant is partly based on me being bent that my alma mater succumbed to the POOP-CRAP and did away with a nickname that, in my humble opinion, wasn't all that offensive at all. I guess we all just need to to use our collective head. We shouldn't let the POOP-CRAP get us down, but we should also be sensitive to the majority. If a lot of people are pissed off about it, maybe we need to look at it with a more discerning eye. But one person complaining about the University of Southern California calling themselves the Trojans because it condones artificial birth control shouldn't be enough for them to change their name to the USC Rhythm Method.

There. I've had my say. Smokem peace pipe?

- Dim.

7 Comments:

Blogger B. said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I just about wet in my Hanes Her Ways!! I couldn't agree more. I am not a big fan of politically correctness either. JennyG and Rust can vouch for this story. At our univeristy (all 3 of us went to the same college)there was a day set aside in spring to "Wear Jeans to Support Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgenders." Could you pick anything more obvious that would make it look like ALL people support your beliefs. Wouldn't that be the same as "Wear Shoes to Support Al Qaeda Day?"

8:30 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Oh shit, I remember that. Your post was freaking hilarious. We all went to Shippensburg University. We are the Raiders, and our mascot used to be some Native American-related thing, but they decided that was offensive and changed it to--you guessed it--a ship. I'm assuming they were connecting Raiders with vikings or something. We don't care about insulting vikings, but we can't offend native americans.

There's a school around here (it used to be an all girls' school) whose mascot is a Beaver. Yeah.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Rusty said...

B. is exactly right, and I remember the "Jeans for GLBT Day". How incredibly stupid - I seem to remember wearing khakis that day on principle.

Jenny is not quite right. Shippensburg was (and still is, in my non-POOPCRAP mind) home to the Red Raiders, mascot: a big red ship. Apparently the title served two purposes. In our sophomore year we all received a letter stating that the teams would now be referred to as simply the Shippensburg "Raiders" so as not to offend the Native tribes of central Pennsylvania, who were picketing our school daily. Or not. Just like with my khakis, I still called them the Red Raiders on principle.

I'm totally with you, Dim.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

"Shippensburg University responded to a similar controversy in 1993 by changing its Red Raiders logo from that of an Indian to a ship...the former nickname dated back to the 1930s...a totem poll was erected in front of the old gymnasium at the time...

There was considerable support for 'Red Raiders,' but it was decided to eliminate the Indian logo.

At the time of the change, university President Dr. Anthony F. Ceddia stated, "My reason for this recommendation stems from the fact that it is difficult to continually justify the use of the Indian symbol while the university continues to stress both morally and philosophically the university's commitment to diversity, multiculturalism and human understanding."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/news/s_64117.html

Oh yes, Ship is a member of POOPCRAP. This was before we were there. I remember going in to school to get something the summer after high school and telling Mr. Orndorff that I was going to Ship and he told me about the Native American thing. Sorry for the long comment! :)

10:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correction: Bishop Fenwick's team name is the Crusaders, not the Bishops.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

My bad. It's been 17 years so cut me some slack. It was actually the Archbishop Williams Bishops that I was thinking of. Which is super-lame because they aren't even the Archbishop Williams Archbishops.

- D.

2:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape