Saturday, July 15, 2006

Physical Fatness

I know I have written about this before here and here, but my efforts to maintain some sort of non-blobiness continues and I feel compelled to write about it yet again.

It seems like everything I eat, drink, breathe, and think about seems to find its way to my torso. And when I say torso, I mean my Robert Paulson-esque man-boobs and my starving Rwandan's engorged belly.

I'm really trying to cut back on the carbs. Not cut out. I am Italian and love my pasta, but I'm very much trying to keep that, as well as potatoes and rice, under control. We eat a lot of salad, drink a lot of water, have a lot of veggies. I happen to also drink a lot of beer. Fuck off, I get thirsty. If I gasp, will you deny me air too, you heartless bastards?

Sorry, I just ran, so I'm cranky.

Anyway, despite you all fawning all over my K-Fed pic, I've been having some self-image issues and really want to make a concerted effort to slim down some. So, after having Chinese buffet lunch a few Mondays ago (fuck off, I get hungry. If my hair frizzes, will you deny my mousse too, you assholes?), Xteen and I decided to go bowling. Because, you know, that's exercise.

I rolled pretty well and Xteen actually got a strike and we had a blast during our four strings of exertainment. I felt pretty good. I worked up a bit of a sweat and, other than a slight tingling in the tip of my right ringfinger (the point of ball-release), I felt great.

I went home and stretched out on the rug (it really ties the room together) for a little while.

When I finally got up, my finger was red and throbbing like when Wile E. Coyote hits his hand with a hammer. Oh, and muscles called my "quads" hurt like the dickens. I always thought quads were the places I hung out in while at college instead of going to class. Apparently, there are muscles there. So, for the next two days, I walked like a 90-year-old man, grimmaced when climbing even the most modest stair, and extended my right ringfinger out at all times, so it looked like I was holding an invisible Tom Collins.

So, now fast forward to this past Wednesday and I decide I am going to play company softball. I'm sufficiently healed from my finger and college hangout area injuries, so I figure what the hell?

Those unfamiliar with work-related sports might not know it is a giant boozefest. At least it is on the team I play on. So, I'm sitting there downing light beer (fuck off, I get...uhhh...oh, just forget it) and getting ready to pitch. I pitch because a) it involves the least amount of effort and b) no one else wants to because 1) the ball comes back at you at speeds exceeding 5 miles an hour and 2) the pitcher stands pretty close so, 3) you tend to get hit a lot and 4) I have pretty decent reflexes for an out of shape guy because 5) I played goalie in hockey even though A1) my right shin might tend to disagree with that because A2) it still hurts and predicts rain after I got hit there three years ago because my reflexes weren't up to speed after B1) drinking too many beers and while we are at it: B2) You sank my battleship.

So, we are playing and winning and I am feeling pretty good. Despite not playing softball for a few months, I pitched well, got a couple of hits, and basically didn't embarrass myself out there. Mission accomplished.

I wake up the next morning and my right arm is completely immobile. My pre-game "airing out of the arm" resulted in the entire arm, muscle, bone, tendons, ligaments all turning to concrete. And any effort to move it from whatever position resulted in what my limited medical knowledge referred to as "a fuckload of pain". This really sucks because now I have learn to hold the beer can in my left hand. I feel like Harrison Ford in Regarding Henry. Not good times.

Oh, and on top of it all, the muscles in my upper leg feel like they have been put through a cheese grater. From fucking SOFTBALL!!!

Anyway, I rest up from that debacle and decide to go running this morning. The horrible spate of rain we have seen in these parts, coupled with a nagging cold I have had, made it difficult for me to go bouncing up and down (with very little forward movement). But I decide to do it today. Oh, let me mention that it friggin HOT out there. You know that sketch on Saturday Night Live where a senile Harry Caray (played by Will Ferrell, whom I allegedly look like) says, "Have you ever been to the sun?" Well, yeah, I have...I ran on it today.

I strap on my armband radio and switch it from the AM sports radio talk show I usually listen to because I don't want to hear them slamming my favorite Sox pitcher because he got rocked last night. The first FM station I can find that comes in is a classic rock station that is playing Hendrix's "Foxey Lady". I can jog to Hendrix, so I leave it on and start going.

Next song is completely putrid: Aerosmith's "Living on the Edge". And like an idiot, I start running faster, thinking I can outrun its suckiness. No luck. Around this time, I notice that it is REALLY hot out and my legs are hurting from lack of conditioning and my lungs are burning from my asthma, but I persevere. Along the way I encounter people walking who look at my face, crimson, with spittle flying out of my mouth trying to breathe and a grimace on my face like I am getting a prostate exam from Edward Scissorhands. They reach for their cell phone and I see them dial 9-1...and their other finger is hovered over the 1 in case I keel over before they pass me.

I keep going and I am seriously running out of gas. I know this because I run past one of the many bunnies that populate our apartment complex. I see it and I know it sees me, because it stops what it is doing and gives me a disrespectful smirk. Now, when I am walking to the apartment from my car, bunnies scamper in fear because of the speed and stealthiness of my gait. I'm fucking JOGGING and this bunny doesn't move a muscle. In fact, I am so unthreatening to him, he stops eating grass, pleasures himself to what was undoubtedly a mental image of Jessica Rabbit (or Kate Beckinsale) and takes a looong time to finish. He then busts out a cigarette. I think it was an Eve Light 120 because he wanted a longer smoke and, upon finishing his last puff, he blew two and a half smoke rings and he then sang the entire song "Freebird", including verbalizing the dual, infinite guitar solo, and completed the insult by doing two Suduko puzzles. This was all before I could even reach him. He fell asleep in orgasmic and nicotine-inspired slumber and dreamed of carrots of unusual size and girth as I plodded right by.

So, here I sit, in a puddle of sweat, muscles burning, trying to figure out how to get fit enough to make a bunny scared of me.

But I think I'll take a break. My fried mozzarella, onion rings, and Guinness lunch is ready.

Working on it,

- Dim.

14 Comments:

Blogger Mr. A said...

It could be worse...you could be trying to get in shape only to find out you have a pelvic stress fracture...

Loads of fun!

That bunny sounds like a cool guy! YOu should get him his own blog!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Greg said...

dim - thoroughly enjoyed this post. what a great piece of writing, man. loved the softball paragraph. LOVED the rabbit paragraph. loved the freebird reference. loved the harry caray reference

"...if the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it? it's not rocket science...."

12:10 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

Thanks Sage!

Honestly, that Harry Caray character is one of my favorites ever. That quote you put in there had me laughing. Wasn't there another one like,

If you were made of hot dogs and you were starving, would you eat yourself??

They need to compile all of those Harry Caray appearances...

- D.

12:21 PM  
Blogger pog mo thoin said...

Bowling and softball, huh? Watch out the next time you play golf, you may lose your ability to walk
;-)

And I know that rabbit, he must be the reincarnation of my pet Murphy who was a bad ass from beginning to end.

Great post.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want your lunch.

Seriously, the rabbit thing was hilarious. I choked on my wine.

I, too, have a shin that tells me the weather--from being a softball pitcher--from too many balls hit hard at me--from me stopping them with my shin. I feel your pain.

But I was a fastpitch pitcher and I played all year, so I rarely got the jello arm.

Fuck cutting out anything in your diet. Just control your portions. And enjoy food, Dim.

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dim,

I'm Ramblin Rose, I saw your link and comments on blogs such as Annoyed, Road to Aisles and Pog..

Great post, Know how you feel about the getting fit.. :)

As for the bunny, I wonder if it the one missing from our house... hmm.. wonder if bunnies can swim across the ocean??

thanks for the great read!! Mind if I add you to my daily read?

RR

7:16 PM  
Blogger Rusty said...

Fucking hilarious, Dim. I swear, you outdo yourself every time.

The bunny paragraph had me laughing so hard I had to get a tissue to wipe my eyes from crying.

Getting a prostate exam from Edward Scissorhands...

Where do you come up with this stuff?!

9:23 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

Fresh: I swear my whole problem stems from eating too much too quickly. I read your post on savoring every bite and was deeply envious. I think my "inhaling" of every meal comes from being a kid and wanting to wolf down dinner as soon as possible so I could run out and go play again before I had to come in. I have to be better at that.

RR, I would be honored to be among your daily reads and hope that you would allow me to include you with mine. I read your blog often and it's time you have a link from Dim City! Please be aware that I am a New Englander, so your link might reflect my accent!

Rust, as always I look forward to your comments. You were one of the first residents of the City and I love knowing that I make you laugh. Really!

- D.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Dim said...

By the way, RR, I just noticed your URL and MacBeth is tied for first for my fave Will play (with R&J), so how could I possibly NOT link to you??

- D.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Jenny G said...

Mmmm...fried mozarella and onion rings. I loved the bunny paragraph!

9:01 AM  
Blogger Dim said...

Wow, Rosie...fanTASTIC reference to One Crazy Summer in your comment. Bravo!!

11:20 PM  
Blogger Steve H said...

that was absolutely hilarious. so many good lines, but the battleship one was my fave.

by the way, josh beckett? really? i'm a wakefield guy and my youngest son (we'll leave the older one out of it because he's a yankee fan...) loves papelbon.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Dim said...

Yeah, big Beckett fan, but that boy better learn how to get his breaking stuff over, or I'll continue to take a beating for liking him!

Hard not to like Papelbon, too. Kid's a warrior.

Yankee fan?! Oh man, hotwire, I'm sorry...

9:16 AM  
Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

Fuck you.

This post makes me want lasagna and guiness -- but I have to settle for milk and pretzels.

Fuck, man. fuckity fuckity fuck fuck!

(I'm not really mad at you)

(I'm mad at me for not having beer and pasta on hand)

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape